Begin by downloading the starting design template. Only use the template you download, do not design using any other file.
The design of the low noise amplifier is explained in the following videos. The basic steps for design are as follows:
- Bias your transistor (already done in template) and measure the S-parameters.
- Plot the gain circles for input and output impedance to find the source and load impedances for maximum gain.
- Plot the noise figure circles for minimum noise.
- Examine the tradeoff between noise and gain in the source impedance, and set a source impedance.
- Synthesize a source an load impedance for your amplifier.
- Assemble the amplifier with biased transistor core and source/load impedance matching networks.
- Add SMA connectors
- Perform final EM analysis (optional).
Part 0 – BJT Biasing (this may be skipped as the BJT is already biased in the template).
Part 1 – Determine source/load impedance for noise and gain.
Part 2 – Synthesize source/load impedances
Part 3 – Complete amplifier, layout and EM simulations